Many people do not wish to think about it, but there are multiple things within your home right now that could be serious potential health hazards. Everyday items, rodents, mold, old paint on your walls, or even cabinets that you think are just dirty can be very serious. But what are the biggest potential health hazards?
Mold is a fungus that grows and spreads very easily and can become airborne and be inhaled by anyone in the home. This is such a hazard because mold could happen potentially anywhere in the home. From old paint on walls, in cabinets, in the bathroom, your water closet, or even in your food pantry, mold can sprout up and cause harm. There are hundreds of varieties, many of which are very dangerous to humans and pets. Being vigilant and clearing out your mold is imperative. Clean regularly, throw away old food, make sure everything’s dry, and always check for mold growth to help prevent it. If it’s really bad, you may even want to repaint the walls inside your home after cleaning them.
With many colorful nicknames, like the invisible death, carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that’s colorless and odorless, according to Silent Shadow. Old heaters and stoves, lawnmowers, engines, generators, and even cigarettes and cigars can emit carbon monoxide. If you have a fuel-burning heater, for instance, it’s vital that you check it regularly for leaks. If you have an attached garage, make sure it’s sealed off from the home. This is a huge potential hazard.
Common household pests may initially just be annoying, making noises and chewing things up, but they’re also a huge health risk. According to Insight Pest Solutions, common household rodents include the house mouse, the roof rat, the deer mouse, and the Norway rat. You might not know it, but rodents like mice and rats can carry a wide range of influenza strains and other potentially deadly bacteria. Setting traps or hiring an exterminator is the best way to get rid of infestations, while sonic devices can deter them from coming back.
Toxic chemicals are dangerous to keep around the home, as children can easily get into them. According to Tersano, cleaning with some products like bleach-based and other harsh chemicals can also leave a residue that children and pets can get into. To resolve this, make sure that your cleaning supplies with harsh chemicals are stored in areas that are inaccessible to children and pets. If you’re worried about the residue from the chemicals on your kitchen counter, prepare your food on a cutting board so the residue doesn’t get on the food. If you’re especially worried about it, you can clean with organic or nontoxic cleaners instead.
Though these health hazards may seem scary at first, they are easily taken care of with a little bit of effort. It’s important to be vigilant and protect your home and health against potential dangers. If you see one of the above health hazards in your home, make sure that you take care of them as soon as possible so you and your family can be safe.