4 Hidden Dangers in Your Home and How to Fix Them

As a homeowner, you want your home to be a happy and safe place. Unfortunately, many potential dangers can arise. Fires, water damage, mold, pests and more can all pose a challenge. While there are some obvious issues that you know to look out for, there are also smaller and more subtle dangers you should be aware of as well.

Air Freshener

Any homeowner knows how funky scents can build up. Kids, pets, sweat and more all can contribute to a less-than-fresh-smelling home. However, many commercial air fresheners use chemicals that may be harmful. As a substitute, consider using natural alternatives or even making your own. Limiting exposure to harmful chemicals, especially for children, is always a good idea.

Space Heater

After cooking, heating is the second leading cause of home fires. Space heaters can provide efficient means of heating your home, and their portability is convenient. However, improper use of space heaters is a common cause of house fires. Do not use heaters indoors unless they’re specifically approved for such usage, and always keep them away from flammable objects. Carpets, curtains, and papers can all easily catch fire. A space heater should be used only on a hard and flat surface and observed by a responsible adult at all times. They should never run while people are absent from home or sleeping.

Extension Cord

Besides being a tripping hazard if they aren’t tucked away properly, extension cords can pose a fire risk. If used properly, an extension cord is not dangerous. The issue is that people tend to overload extension cords and try to plug in too many things. When an overloaded cord is placed near flammable objects, it can overheat, spark and catch fire. Much like with space heaters, keep extension cords away from flammable objects.

Dryer Lint

Another fire hazard is presented by dryer lint. As your clothes dryer tumbles and dries a load, the clothes shed lint and small debris, which gets sucked out of the machine and vented out of your home. However, the lint can stick and, if not removed and cleaned, it will build up. The screen in dryers catches most lint, but not all. The heat from the dryer can cause it to catch fire. Regularly check and remove lint from the dryer heating element, vent pipes, and vent exit.

Keeping up a home is a challenge. By knowing all the potential risks, you can more easily reduce them. Dedicating yourself to keeping your home safeguarded against hidden dangers will ensure your peace of mind and make sure your home is safe.